Thursday, December 22, 2011

Twisted problems with people in the book!

      I'm currently reading the book Twisted by Laurie Halse Anderson, this book is about a boy named Tyler who is in high school. In the book Tyler has a lot of problems with different people starting with his dad. He also has problems with kids at school. So he struggles and it's hard for him to control his emotions and anger. 
      His father is really mean to Tyler and his family. He treats his wife like she is the most retarded person on earth. He treats Tyler like a criminal and pushes him to do things he doesn't want to do. When they were at this party Tyler was arm wrestling Chip Milbury who is the son of Tyler's  dad's boss. And Tyler dad told him to make himself loose just so that his boss feels he has power and so that his boss doesn't get humiliated in front of all the important people at the party. I think that is what makes Tyler do so bad in school and not focus. He feels that he is forced to do what his dad wants just so his dad can appear like a big shot.  If I were Tyler I wouldn't have let myself loose I would have kept going so that I could win and I would stand up for myself because his dad is just plain mean. 
     Another person or persons Tyler has problems with at school is Chip and his friends. They believe Tyler is a dork and that they can do what they want to Tyler whenever they want. But what they don't notice is that Typer has changed since junior year he isn't the same dork he was. He got all tough and grew and they would stand a chance with him. But I wouldn't do what Tyler does in the book that is not a way to deal with problems. I would ignore them or report them to the principal's office. I wouldn't threaten them because fighting never leads to anything good. 
      I think that Tyler's obstacles aren't really things it's people. He doesn't know how to handle his anger and feels he has to unleash. But I do not like the way his father treats him, he makes him feel like garbage. I know that no kid likes to feel that way. Kids need their parents by their side even throughout very tough times. Reading this book is definitely teaching me lessons, it's teaching me how sometimes the pressure of a parent can lead you to do certain things just so you can be in their side and get a little of affection from them. 

2 comments:

  1. it seems that Tyler has relatable problems, can you relate in any way? I liked how you stated many problems that are huge cliche obstacles. Maybbe you can expand a bit more on them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. your blog post really makes me want to read this book because as im reading your post im more and more interesteed in the book great job amy ! :)

    ReplyDelete