Thursday, December 1, 2011

Blog post on the book Flipped #8

     In the book Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen, the book is told by two points of view. The first point of view is Bryce who is this boy who moves to a town where there is a girl named Julianna who is the other point of view of the story. I personally think that makes the book more interesting because you get two see the opinions and thoughts of two different people on the same topic. 
     Bryce in the book sees everything with a sort of negative perspective. He doesn't think posting and he always shown like a boring character but he isn't really. He thinks that everything that Julianna does is bad and that she abnormal. He also thinks she a know it all who is obsessed with him. I think that Julianna just acts like that because she doesn't have any friends and she sees something in Bryce that she didn't see in the other kids. I think Bryce on the other hand is afraid to accept what he truly feels for Julianna. He is afraid that if he becomes friends with her he will become just as crazy as her. If I were in Bryce's position I would be her friend maybe he will find that she is not so bad and is just trying to get accepted by someone for once in her life.
     Julianna is the more fun character she doesn't care if the gets covered in mud or if she different from all the other kids. Her perspective is the complete opposite of Bryce. She is absolutely in love with him. She always talks about how his eyes are the most amazing thing ever. Julianna is never afraid to try something new or day what is on her mind. Bryce is and I think that is what makes Julianna like him so much. She does make lots of effort to try and be his friend but he wants absolutely nothing to do with her. Sometimes I find myself reading the book and feeling sad for both of them. But in particular Julianna because Bryce can't learn to accept her for the say she is.
     I think that Bryce wants to be Julianna's friend but he is afraid to accept that. I think Bryce has to learn how to accept people for they are. Also he has so much pressure from his family because his dad and sister call him coward for being afraid of Julianna, so he gets even more scared if taking to her. He might just be afraid that Julianna won't accept him. But I think that they would make great friends because they somehow look like they can get along.   

1 comment:

  1. I agree with what you said about their different personalities. The book was one of my classes sixth grade read-alouds, and I was always kind of annoyed with Bryce. Julianna just seems way to good for him, and like he realizes later in the book, he is lucky that she likes him. Good post!

    ReplyDelete