Thursday, October 27, 2011

Perspective for When You Reach Me.

I just started reading When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead, but as soon as I started reading the first chapter I noticed that the book is told through Miranda's perspective. At the beginning everything Is told through what Miranda and thinks and all of her dialogue, I think the sutho did this because she wanted us to feel like we were Miranda and see if we have the same perspective as Miranda.
Rebecca stead makes Miranda sound like a very mature sixth grader and makes her seem like a grown up. Usually we are used to seeing a sixth grader like a little kid and innocent, bu in this book she's not. I think the the author did this to show us the point of view of a very mature sixth grader of someone who has gone through things and gained knowledge of those things. I think that if she did the perspective through a sixth gader who hasn't experienced anything in life it would make the story more kid like and like innocent.
In the book there is a lot of perspectives missing. The mom has dialogue but the dialogue isn't as meaningful as Miranda's you don't learn anything from her dialogue. You never get the opinion the mother has on participating on $20,000 pyramid. All you get is how Miranda feels about it. You also don't get the moms boyfriend perspective and how he feels about the relationship with miranda and Miranda's mother. So Miranda is here the one that you have to focus on if you want to understand the book. I think that of the author put the perspective of the mom and the book still aloes about Miranda you would learn about how she feels about her daughter.I think it would make the book a little boring, because it would be like every other book that is told through someone else's perspective and not the person that you are reading about. This makes it much easier to figure out hoe the person feels and if you feel te same way.
I really appreciate this because it doesn't make it that hard for me to understand the book and then I can look at the small details that you don't look deep into. It makes you compare the book to the world, to yourself and to the bigger social action message that it is trying to teach you. It makes me think about myself and if, I have the same perspective as the protagonist.

No comments:

Post a Comment