Thursday, October 6, 2011

A Wrinkle in Time: Entry from notebook " What do you think the land of Camazotz represents? what is L'Engle trying to tell the reader on a figurative level?

     In the book A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle, Camazotz represents anti-diversity and uniqueness. L’Engle was trying to teach us all a lesson that being different is okay. She as a child herself was very different from all the other kids. But that is what made her the great writer that she was. She showed me that being different is what made you be the way you are, it made me realize that you have to be yourself and you don’t always have to appeal to other people. It made me realize that when I grow up I will be someone great because I am myself and I’m not trying to imitate someone and I’m not trying to be someone I am not.
     I would like to connect the book A Wrinkle in Time to The Giver. The Giver also like the book A Wrinkle in Time showed us what it was like to live in a place where your life was planned out for you already and how you could never make a wrong choice. But when I was comparing the two books I thought to myself isn’t part of life learning to make mistakes and learning something from the bad choices we make. Nobody in this world is perfect we all make mistakes and sometime these mistakes turn us into a better person. Camazotz makes the reader believe that if you make a mistake you are in trouble because ‘It” the ruler makes you feel fear and if you’re not like everyone else you’re not perfect you don’t belong and “it” destroys you.
     Camazotz was a huge part of the book because it showed Meg that she didn’t need to fit in to accomplish her goals she needed to be herself. The she was unique in her own special way. She didn’t need to be a smart as Charles Wallace or as wise as Mrs. Who she needed to be Meg. On Camazotz she also found out that her dad wasn’t going to make her problems better it was her all along. She just needed that trip to Camazotz to show her that. Camzoztz showed me that it’s okay to be myself because that is what makes me unique.

No comments:

Post a Comment